SimplyLily

Monday 10 October 2011 1 comments

Well today I have started packing my maternity bag... somehow it’s a lot less interesting than first time around... and in fact is actually just a pain to try and do whilst keeping control of an adventurous 11 month old. Luckily I kept my list of things I packed last time to refer to (I say ‘refer to’ as there are many things on that list that never saw the light of day and won’t be getting packed this time.... but that’s another story). One of the things that were on my list last time were breast pads... not the most glamorous of subjects I know, but little did I know first time round that they would be one of my best friends and greatest foes for the weeks after Isaac was born that I was breast feeding.

First off, let’s be clear on this... I NEEDED breast pads; there was milk everywhere no matter what I was doing, where I was, or the time of day or night. Ohhh the unrivalled stench of slightly soured warm breast milk that seemed to follow me around like a dark cloud during those first weeks... even now the smell of any milk brings some horrendous memories flooding back. I also must have spent an arm and a leg on disposable pads (of various brands) and couldn’t afford to buy enough washable ones to see me through from one wash to the next, I was glad when those dark days were over let me tell you.

This time I have a plan... no more will the local cats be following me around thinking I’m some kind of giant kittykat milk providing goddess... I’m going to use SimplyLily’s LilyPadz. For those of you who haven’t met them yet, they are described as an “alternative to traditional breast pads combining such unique features as flexibility, breathability, invisibility and 'sticks to you ability'to provide the kind of protection every expectant and nursing mother needs. LilyPadz reusable non-absorbent breast pads are the only breast pads that adhere to you and not your bra. LilyPadz unique design maintains pressure on the nipple and forms a non-absorbent barrier to prevent to prevent breast milk leakage.” Basically, they appear to me to be super softy silicone cups that stick to your breast and keep the milk in rather than soaking up that which comes out! Sounds great? I think so!

Anyway, I bought them yesterday from Boots, and I’ll be honest, they were an impulse buy. I’ve been following SimplyLily for a while now, since they first came to my attention in a competition on Pushchair Trader's website, and I really love the idea... but as a technically unemployed mother of soon to be two I’m loath to spend money on any potential pregnancy/baby ‘gimicks’ (I already have a cupboard full of them from the first time around!). I’d read all the testimonials and looked at the on the website and decided to ‘leave it for now’, wait and see how my milk supply went eh? That was fine until I was faced with the product in the store that is! I think as I was purchasing many of the other toiletry items needed shortly after birth (you know what I mean ladies!) I was reminded of how grim those first few weeks could be... and so... into the basket went the SimplyLily LilyPadz for £15.99... I’m now praying that they are going to be worth it (not least because my sanity may depend upon it!)... one thing I’m sure of though, I’ll be letting you know how I get on when the time arrives...

1 comments:

  • lily padz said...

    Yeah want to ask about the lily padz starter kit or just start with some double pack? I'm new to mommy life thing and don't want to spend much money on something if it's not worth it. Thanks.

Post a Comment